TAPS MAIN BUILDINGS
ABOUT OUR BUILDINGS
Roble Gymnasium Building re-opened in 2016 as Stanford’s newest arts building. Originally built in 1931 as the women’s gymnasium, the $28 million renovation created new theatrical performance spaces and updated several dance studios, rehearsal spaces, and classrooms. Roble houses the Harry J. Elam, Jr. Theater (formerly Roble Studio Theater), a large black box theater; the Roble Dance Studio, a beautiful dance performance space in keeping with its original Spanish architecture; several acting and dance rehearsal spaces; the TAPS main office; faculty offices; and administrative staff offices. Spaces in Roble Gymnasium Building are managed by TAPS.
Memorial Auditorium, the largest indoor performance space at Stanford, opened its doors in 1938. Commemorating students and faculty who lost their lives in the armed services, it is now primarily used to present TAPS’s largest musicals and dance shows, as well as for the University’s special events. Memorial Auditorium’s main stage features a large proscenium stage, and orchestra and balcony seating for over 1700 audience members. In addition to the main stage, Memorial Auditorium houses TAPS faculty offices, production staff offices, the costume shop, scene shops, the light lab, and other classrooms. Requests to reserve Memorial Auditorium must be made through the Registrar’s Office.
Nitery Theater is located in the Old Union and is home to the Experimental Nitery Studio. An intimate black-box theater, Nitery is outfitted with full lighting, projection, and sound equipment for performances. With a flexible seating capacity of 71-83, the Nitery features TAPS’s undergraduate capstone projects, graduate projects, and other student productions as curated by the Experimental Nitery Studio Board. This space is managed by TAPS.